Caring for your jewellery
Jewellery is precious – it is important to treat it with love! We expect jewellery to last forever and yet it receives more wear and tear than anything else that we own. Here are some simple steps towards keeping your jewellery protected and looking its best, so that you can enjoy it for many years to come.
- Store your jewellery in the original box to avoid scratching surfaces and to protect chains, neckwires and gemstones.
- Don’t wear your jewellery in situations that might damage it – going to the gym, gardening, lifting heavy objects and swimming in chlorinated water are a few examples.
- Clean it with a soft toothbrush, warm water and mild detergent.
- Remove tarnish from silver by using a special polishing cloth. Rinse thoroughly after use.
- Matte surfaces will naturally polish with wear and plating will fade. Bring your jewellery back to us to be refinished every 1 – 2 years in order to keep it looking wonderful.
Coloured gemstones and diamonds
Gemstones are natural and, if put under enough pressure, can break – even diamonds can be chipped!
- If a ring receives a hard knock, bring it back to us immediately so that we can check the setting. If you don’t do this, you risk losing the stones.
- Keep rings with gemstones in their box at all times when not being worn.
- Apply hand creams, perfumes, etc. before putting on your jewellery to avoid dulling gemstones.
Pearls are very fragile and must be treated with extreme care.
- Don’t allow your pearls to come into contact with water as it can weaken their fixing and they can fall off.
- If using creams or perfumes, make sure you put your pearls on afterwards, not before!